Sample SOP

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Sample STATEMENT OF PURPOSE Computer Science

STATEMENT OF PURPOSE Computer Science


My four years of undergraduate studies in CS at PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore and my exposure and penchant for research have made the choice of further study, for me, an obvious one. My goal is to pursue a career in research, either in industry or in academia. Ten years from now, I envisage myself as a full-fledged research professional in an organization, or a faculty member at one of the leading universities. The first step towards my objective would be to pursue Masters Program in Computer Science. My ultimate degree objective would however be a Ph.D.

Throughout my student career I have been a top ranking student. I was in the top 0.05% of all engineering aspirants in my state, which secured me a place in PSG College of Technology- one of the premier institutions in India. I have done justice to my potential by contributing notably to the research works in our college as well as maintaining my academic rank within the top 5% of the students in my class.

Over the past two years, my liking for research has burgeoned especially in the fields of security and distributed computing.
I started by studying various information hiding techniques. After extensive literature survey in the fields of Steganography and Watermarking, I published my own technique for efficient information hiding in low resolution images using Newtons Forward Difference in Springer-Verlag LNCS. I have also worked with watermarking techniques especially audio watermarking and echo hiding and my paper titled “A Novel Embedding System For Efficient Watermarking In Auido In Echo” tests the fitness of the NFD Technique in this field of research. I used the NFD Technique to compress uncorrelated frames in a video file by establishing a relationship by generating a Correlation polynomial. This proposal was well acclaimed when I presented in the International Conference of Human Machine’s Interface (ICHMI 04) at Indian Institute of Science (IISc Bangalore).

Two of my courses Distributed Component Architecture and Client Server Computing interested me a lot. I was very keen on doing some research work in these areas and devoted quality time towards an in-depth understanding of these subjects and tried to implement my own ideas in these fields.

My urge and potential for research was identified and I was chosen to lead the team for a research project, “Code Optimisation in Middleware-based Distributed Embedded Systems”. We built a security framework for CORBA – based applications providing 6 security services, which includes authentication, authorization, non-repudiation, data integrity, auditing and security while transmission. We designed a 128-bit symmetric key crypto algorithm G- MAP to be used in all the security services. During the course of the project, I had the opportunity to design an N-tier for the distributed nature of the framework and implement them in java. Our originality and substantial work in the project was appropriately recognized and the project was given ‘The Best Project Award’, in the department.

My academic pursuits have not however, prevented me from participating with interest in various co-curricular activities including organizing seminars and serving as representative of the class. These activities have led to the development of a multifaceted personality and have equipped me with strong interpersonal skills. My academic achievements, research work and inter personal skills were well acknowledged and I was given the ‘Best outgoing student’ award in our batch.

I am currently working with Computer Associates and I am working on the project “Security and Device Management of Smart phones”. Apart from managing smart phones, this project deals with designing security policies for them and implementing the same using Java technologies. My work spans across all the tiers of the project, which includes building the GUI using JSTL and JSF, implementing the business logic using Enterprise Java Beans and designing the database using SQL Server.

If admitted I plan to carry on with my advanced studies in the fields of security and distributed computing systems. Considering the pioneering work going on at your department labs Distributed Systems Software Lab (DSSL) and Information Systems Security Lab (MISSL), which perfectly match with the field of my interest, computer science department at University of Maryland, is the ideal choice for an exciting research career. At the same time, I am confident of contributing originally to the ongoing work at your department. By working under the guidance of distinguished faculty at your department, I am certain that I will be able to exploit my potential to the fullest.

I look forward to joining University of Maryland as a graduate student at your esteemed department.



( Name Removed )

2 comments:

  1. Writing a graduate school personal statement can be a daunting and difficult task. You are selling yourself and trying to let the admissions representatives know WHY you should be chosen over other qualified applicants. statement of purpose for ms in computer science

    ReplyDelete
  2. The MBA statement of purpose is an extremely important document for anyone to prepare because it will show those involved with the application process which unique qualities a candidate possesses. See more resume for mba fresher

    ReplyDelete